Sunday, July 28, 2013

I've Always Been This Way

On the first day of 6th grade, my first period of the day was advanced science. Our first assignment was to draw a picture of a scientist and to present it. Since I was the first in my row, I was one of the first kids to present.

I held up my drawing to the class and said "Most of you probably drew the stereotypical geek in a lab coat, but I drew an average person examining sap samples under a microscope, because that's what Mrs. Gross said that we would do this year. Therefore, a scientist is anyone who performs science--and that could be any one of us."

I was expecting my class to find it profound, but like normal 6th graders they all just stared at me. I was at least proud of myself, but I was sad to have not gotten at least the standard applause.

The next student to present was John LaVelle. He held up his poorly drawn scientist and began "Well I just drew a geek in a lab coat..." He and I exchanged a look after that, and I know he had appreciated my scientist.  His look said "I wish I had had that idea first. I don't think you're weird; I admire your intelligence."

All it takes is one person, even if they aren't outspoken about their opinion at all, to let you know that your eccentrities are appreciated after all. Just one person can make you feel like you aren't hated by your whole 6th grade class. Just one person can let you know that you aren't worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment